Welcome to SPHS Counselor’s Corner. You’ll find important announcements here and will be able to keep up with the latest College Scholarship and Financial Aid information. Check in daily, as we’re regularly adding new information.
Mrs. Muller, Guidance Counselor – Students with last names starting with A-G
Mr. Cellamare, Guidance Counselor – Students with last names starting with H-Z
For a complete listing of scholarships and application deadlines, see the Sarasota County School District Website
You’ll find a ton of support there, including information about financial aid, scholarships, career planning, and ACT/SAT testing.
The SPHS Guidance Office also has applications for certain scholarships that can’t be found online in the school district information. If you’re interested in more information, please visit us in the school office and we’ll gladly give you a copy of the information and application.
Important Test Dates
USF’s Assistant Director, Gabriela Vega has provided some information to help you navigate Financial Aid for College.
View her PowerPoint presentation: Financial Aid Information
You may also find helpful information here:
Tax Season also means it’s time to complete the FAFSA. For complete information, follow this link: FAFSA on the WEB
For information about the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship program, visit their website: Bright Futures
The Student Florida Financial Aid Application (FFAA) is available online. The Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) website at www.FloridaStudentFinancialAid.org provides the FFAA to students seeking state scholarship and grant awards.
This single application is utilized to evaluate the student for all of the programs listed below:
- Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program
- José Martí Scholarship Challenge Grant
- Rosewood Family Scholarship Program
- Scholarships for Children and Spouses of Deceased or Disabled Veterans
Steps Students Should Take to Complete the Application Process:
- Go to www.FloridaStudentFinancialAid.org.
- Select State Grants, Scholarships & Applications, and Initial State Student Application to complete and submit an online application.
- Select Programs Offered to view detailed state programs information.
- Pay attention to program deadlines listed in the application conditions section, the application results screen, and the application acknowledgement communication sent to the e-mail address provided by the student on his/her application.
- The FFAA will provide a User ID and PIN to each applicant upon submitting the application via the Saved Results Page and in an e-mail communication.
- Students can use their User IDs and PINs to check:
- The status of certification(s) prior to the program deadline(s)
- The status of awards following the program deadlines
- Notifications from OSFA regarding award status
Luke Ireland, a 2013 graduate of SPHS, passed away August 19, 2015, while studying in Germany. He was entering his Junior year at Florida State University, majoring in International Affairs and German, with a minor in Economics. He had a heart of gold and was well liked by everyone.
His family started this memorial scholarship fund to honor Luke’s memory and help others achieve their goals. They are accepting applications for cash awards to be determined on the following criteria:
- Skills and abilities
- Career focus
Please submit a written application consisting of:
- An essay about yourself, your goals, and a plan to reach your goals
- List of your achievements
- References (one teacher and one community, civic or church leader)
The deadline for application is May 1, 2016. Decisions will be made by May 15.
There will be five, $500. Awards, which will be distributed May 24, 2016 at Senior Awards Night.
Please see Guidance for more information or to submit your application.
Sarasota County School Nutrition Association Award in the amount of $500 will be given to a graduating senior from each of the following eligible high schools who demonstrate scholastic achievement and financial need:
- Booker High School
- North Port High School
- Pine View
- Riverview High School
- Sarasota High School
- Venice High School
- Suncoast Polytechnical High School
To be eligible, applicants must have a minimum 3.5 GPA and submit an application, current transcript, and written essay.
For more information and application see your Guidance Office.
Application Deadline: April 8, 2016
The Education Foundation will be awarding two $2,000 scholarships on behalf of Suncoast Credit Union Foundation.
Scholarship and Eligibility Requirements:
- Applicants may attend a public or private school or be home schooled, but must be a high school senior.
- Candidates must demonstrate financial need.
- Students who are Directors, employees, or family members of Directors or employees of Suncoast Credit Union, Members Title Company, Members Insurance Services, Members Trust Company or Suncoast Realty Solutions LLC are not eligible to apply.
- Scholarship recipients must enroll in an accredited 4-year college/university, 2-year college or technical school in Florida and begin classes in the 2016-17 academic year.
- Scholarship funds are to be used for tuition, fees required to enroll at or attend an eligible educational institution.
- Scholarship funds may also be used for other direct course-related expenses–such as fees, books, supplies and equipment—provided they are required of all students in the course of instruction.
All applications should be submitted electronically via: http://tinyurl.com/SuncoastScholarship
Application deadline: Sunday April 10th
SCF Theatre Program Audition Scholarship Day will take place Saturday, April 23, 2016.
Auditions will be held on the Bradenton Campus of SCF, Neel Performing Arts Center, Building 11, beginning at 9:00 a.m. This is for student actors and technicians who plan to attend SCF in 2016-2017. Students are not required to be a theatre major to be awarded a scholarship.
Contact SCF at 941-752-5351 to schedule an audition.
For more information about the SCF Theatre program, visit: scf.edu
Stonegate Bank is proud to sponsor the Stonegate Charitable Foundation Community Service Award & Scholarship. The award is presented t0 5 high school seniors in Sarasota County who have exhibited superior community service involvement during their high school careers while maintaining high academic achievement.
To be eligible for the award & scholarship, an honoree must submit four documents:
- Scholarship Application
- Community Service Supervisor Recommendation Form
- Honoree Submittal Form
The Criteria for selection of the award honoree is:
- Minimum 3.0 academic grade point average
- Demonstration of community service, within or outside the school, and the ability to work harmoniously and unselfishly with and for others
- Must be qualified for free or reduced lunch and must show corresponding documentation
See the Guidance Office for more information.
Application Deadline: April 1, 2016
Sarasota County Assoc of Educational Office Professionals Scholarships:
- Florida resident
- Graduating high school senior who has made application to continue his/her education in an institution of higher learning
- GPA 2.50
- Three letters of recommendation
For more information and application: See Guidance Office
Application Deadline: March 29, 2016
Manasota Track Club Scholarship Program is open to all local area student runners (both track and cross country); students must live in Sarasota county to apply. The application is available online and through the guidance office. Students must complete the application, adhere to the criteria in the application and submit their materials in the spring. The MTC Scholarship Committee reviews each application and makes selections for the scholarship awards in April of each year.
- Be a resident of Sarasota County and have participated in High School Cross Country and/or Track.
- Be of outstanding character and citizenship.
- Have an unweighted GPA of at least 3.0.
- Plan to enroll in a program of study as a full time student (12 hrs minimum) that will lead to a baccalaureate degree.
For more information, visit Manasota Track Club website.
Scholarship Application Deadline: March 31, 2016